If you are wondering how to steam potatoes in the microwave, this blog is for you.
In this high-tech world, we don’t have much time to wait for up to an hour for baked potatoes to be cooked in the oven. Like others, you can also steam potatoes in a microwave, and they will be cooked in less than ten minutes.
Microwaves not only save our time, but it is convenient too as it is easy to use.
So without further ado, let’s get into it –
Steaming Potatoes In Microwave
List of things which you must have while steaming potatoes in a microwave:
- Microwave bowl and cup
- A knife
So let’s begin :
- The potatoes you are using should be cleaned to remove any debris, then wiped with a kitchen towel.
- The next thing you must do is make 2-3 cuts in the potatoes with a knife to let steam escape; otherwise, the potatoes risk exploding in the oven.
- Simply put two to three potatoes on the turntable of the microwave after cleaning and peeling the potatoes with a glass of water. Now you might be wondering why a glass of water? This avoids the wrinkling of potatoes.
- Cook potatoes for 5-6 minutes in the microwave on a high level, and you can turn the potatoes for even cooking.
- When it is finished, remove the potatoes from the microwave; the skin should come off fairly easily, but be careful because it will be very hot.
- Steam potatoes can be chopped into cubes, and these cubes can be used to make many other dishes.
How To Steam Baby Potatoes In Microwave
Baby potatoes, also referred to as new potatoes, baby potatoes, immature potatoes, or mini potatoes, are deliciously steamed in the microwave.
Here is the list of things you require to steam baby potatoes using the microwave:
- A Fork
- Baby Potatoes
- Microwave container
You just need to follow this process:
- The mini potatoes you are using should be thoroughly cleaned and then wiped down with a dish towel.
- In the next step, with the help of a fork, pierce each potato.
- Now it’s time to transfer the small potatoes to the microwave container.
- Mini potatoes should be heated on high for 10 minutes, or you can turn the potatoes after 5-6 minutes.
Some Important Points While Steaming Potatoes in Microwave
Wait until you’ve microwaved the potato before peeling it. If you do, the entire potato develops a hard outer shell that is impossible to remove.
Always put some cuts in the potatoes with a knife; otherwise, potatoes will explode in the microwave. Cuts help the steam in escaping from the potatoes.
Since many of the nutrients are located near the skin, when peeling, use a vegetable peeler and keep the peeling very thin.
Always use microwave-safe bowls and containers while cooking with the microwave.
Every microwave operates differently. Thus you must check the potatoes after 2 minutes. Sometimes you might find that your potatoes shrunk after steaming in the microwave then; your old potatoes might be caused by it.
Storage instructions of steam potatoes
If properly stored in the refrigerator, steam potatoes can survive up to three to four days in an airtight container.
All cooked potatoes, including baked and mashed potatoes, should be refrigerated within two hours of cooking for the optimum outcome.
After being boiled, potatoes can be safely stored in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Always keep potatoes in cool temperatures. Additionally, keep potatoes away from onions because they promote sprouting.
Benefits of Potatoes for Health
Potatoes are incredibly healthy because they are full of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. Potatoes are also a rich source of fiber which can help in preventing heart disease by controlling Sugar levels and Cholesterol.
In addition, potatoes include vitamins that support healthy bodily functioning and antioxidants that fight disease.
Lack of potassium in the diet causes the body to retain more sodium, and too much sodium elevates blood pressure. The skin of baked potatoes is a fantastic source of potassium and magnesium. A diet high in potassium can lower blood pressure and the risk of stroke.
Is the microwave safe for steaming potatoes?
You must be familiar with the various microwave-related queries, such as: Is cooking in a microwave safe? Are nutrients lost in the microwave? Or perhaps you’ve been subjected to further microwave-related queries.
The most important question is: are microwaves safe to use? Yes, microwave food is perfectly safe for your body, and it has the same nutritional content as food cooked in a regular oven.
More nutrients will be broken down when the food cooks for a longer period of time. Since it takes less time than boiling or cooking, microwave cooking is really one of the least damaging cooking methods. Food tends to lose more nutrients the longer it cooks; although microwave cooking is quicker because of this, it is the least harmful cooking technique.
Yes, potatoes can be safely steamed in the microwave. When you use cooking methods other than the microwave, boiling vegetables turns out bland and soggy in comparison to microwave cooking methods. Vegetables are steamed inside and out by the microwave with less loss in nutrients.
I hope now you know everything about how to steam potatoes in the microwave.